Skip Maine state header navigation

Agencies | Online Services | Help

Skip First Level Navigation | Skip All Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions - Floods

May 2006 York-Cumberland County Storm Frequently Asked Questions

These questions are provided by the Maine Bureau of Insurance as a general overview of insurance coverage questions being asked by victims of this month’s storm.  These questions and answers are not intended to give specific information relating to particular situations nor are they intended to provide legal advice.

My home has suffered flood damage as a result of the storm.  Is it covered under my insurance?

Flood damage or damage caused by rising ground water typically will only be covered if you purchased flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).  It is not covered under a typical homeowners or renters insurance policy.   Policyholders should first contact their agent for their homeowners or renters insurance policy to report flood damage. “Tips for filing claims” are available under the “Site Map” and then by clicking “Floods Happen” at  NFIP coverage information is available for various audiences at   

What types of losses caused by the storm are covered under my homeowners insurance policy?

Coverage varies by insurer and policy type, but typically damage to the building or contents caused by wind or rain such as water damage through a leaky roof will be covered.  Policies typically provide coverage against damage caused by falling objects such as trees. Damage caused by loss of electrical power such as spoiled food may also be covered. Some insurers offer optional coverage that provides protection against sump pump failure in limited circumstances.  Coverage is subject to policy terms and conditions and to any applicable deductible.  Contact your agent or insurer for specific coverage and claims information.

My car was damaged by flood waters.  Am I covered?

If you purchased comprehensive coverage under your auto insurance policy, you may have coverage available.  Contact your insurer or agent for specific claims information.

I have an oil spill in my basement.  Is there any assistance to help clean that up?

The Maine Department of Environmental Protection has a 24 hour hotline for oil spill assistance. The telephone number is 1-800-482-0777.  In addition to technical assistance, DEP has a financial assistance program for qualifying persons.

[back to top]

For further information, storm victims may wish to call the Maine Bureau of Insurance at 1-800-300-5000 or (207)624-8475.


Last Updated: August 22, 2012