Acupuncture means the insertion of fine metal needles through the skin at specific points on or near the surface of the body with or without the palpitation of specific points on the body and with or without the application of electric current or heat to the needles or skin, or both. The practice of acupuncture is based on traditional oriental theories and serves to normalize physiological function, treat certain diseases and dysfunctions of the body, prevent or modify the perception of pain and promote health and well-being.
How to apply
- License fee $195.00
- Application fee $7September 30, 2011
You must be at least 21 years of age.
Complete and submit the Application for Licensure with the following information:
- Appropriate fee made payable to the Maine State Treasurer or if paying by credit card complete the credit card authorization form.
- Verification of Licensure (if needed)
- Proof of completion of a Baccalaureate Degree
- Proof of 1,000 Acupuncture Classroom Hours
- Proof of 300 Acupuncture Hours of Clinical Experience
- NCCAOM Certification
See Board Laws and Rules for full requirements
Get the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to access PDF files.
Renewal fees and information
- Annual renewal fee $195.00
- Renews annually on October 31st
- A late
fee of $50 is assessed for licenses renewed after the
license expiration date.
- A person
who submits an application for renewal more than 90 days
after license expiration date is subject to all requirements
governing new applicants.
- Renewal remnders are mailed approximately 60 days prior to the license expiration date. It is the licensee's responsibility to keep the Board informed of the current license address and/or to see that the license is renewed absent the renewal application.
- CONTINUING Education - An Applicant for renewal must obtain
30 continuing education units over the two year biennium. Continuing
education credit will be given for programs which are directly
related to the knowledge and clinical practice of Acupuncture
and Oriental Medicine.
For more information regarding continuing education please see chapter 5 section 1 and 2 of the rules.
- Fill out the online renewal application and submit.
The Department must verify that you have met all the conditions for renewal before your license is renewed. Online submission of your renewal application should not be construed as automatic renewal of your license.
November 14, 2013