Certification & Higher Education Committee - Jan. 31, 2012
The Certification and Higher Education Committee held a meeting on Tuesday, January 31, 2012, at the Department of Education in Augusta. The following were present: Chair Nancy Perkins; and Jana Lapoint (Board Members); Dottie Martin (by phone - Board Member); Mark Cyr (DOE Staff) and Mary Becker State Board of Education Secretary Associate
Guest: Dorothy Maxwell, Director of Online Learning in SAD #55; Professor Louis Hall, Music Education, University of Maine at Orono; and Cathy Owens-Oliver, Educational Testing Services (by phone)
Nancy Perkins called the meeting to order at 9:23 AM.
Approval of Minutes:
MOVED by Jana Lapoint, seconded by Dottie Martin, and voted unanimously by those present to approve the minutes of the November 30, 2011 meeting as written.
Certification (Mark Cyr):
- The focus has been on the revisions to Chapter 115, Part I and Part II, Rules for Certification, Authorization, and Approval of Education Personnel. The revisions have been approved by the State Board and the public hearing was held at the Education Committee. Nancy Perkins gave an overview of the public hearing.
Higher Education (Harry Osgood):
- No Report (absent)
Educational Testing Services (ETS) Discussion on Praxis II - Music (Cathy Owens-Oliver):
Cathy joined the meeting by phone.
- Discussion on the differences among scores and a focus on the music ETS score. The cut score for Maine is approximately ten points lower than the other four New England States (Massachusetts does not participate). Professor Louis Hall from the University of Maine Orono Music Department had questions and concerns regarding the test. Cathy Owens was able to assist with a quick overview of the test.
Online Learning (Dorothy Maxwell, Director of Online Learning in SAD #55):
- Dorothy is a previous Milken Award winner and Teacher of the Year. She gave a detailed presentation on Virtual High School on-line courses. There are over 650 schools in Maine and Massachusetts using Virtual High School. The on-line teachers must hold state certification in the content area they are teaching on-line.
- For more information about the program, log onto the website at www.govhs.org.
- Diane Ravitch, Ph.D., A Brief History of Teacher Professionalism - White House Conference on Preparing Tomorrow's Teachers (Nancy Perkins)
- Five Years of Giving Rural Students Second Chances - ASBMB Today (Nancy Perkins)
The next Certification Committee meeting is scheduled for Monday, February 27, 2012 at 9:00 AM. The meeting will be held in room 541 of the Cross State Office Building.
The Certification Committee meeting adjourned at 11:48 AM.