Since 2008, the Maine State Board of Education has had two nonvoting student members who join the Board as high school juniors and serve for two years. Students are appointed by the Governor, confirmed by the Maine Senate, and, except for voting, have full privileges and responsibilities of Board membership.
At all times, the State Board has one high school junior and one senior as members. One student comes from Maine's First Congressional District; the other attends school in the Second Congressional District.
Becoming a Student Member
Each year, the Maine State Board of Education accepts applications from current high school sophomores in one of Maine's two Congressional districts who are interested in filling the student seat that will be vacated at the end of the school year.
In 2014, the State Board will accept applications from sophomores who attend school in Maine's Second Congressional District. Applicants must be in good academic standing and willing to serve for two years. Application materials will be made available on this page.
- Student Member Job Responsibilities
- Background of Student Membership on the State Board
- Application Letter
- Parental Support Statement
- School Support Agreement
Student Members, 2008-Present
- Alyssa Wardwell, Massabesic High School: 2013 - 2015
- Kristin Bishop, Madison Area Memorial High School: 2012-2014
- Chelsey Whynot, Cape Elizabeth High School: 2011-2013
- Angela Bechard, Monmouth Academy: 2010-2012
- Andrea Levinsky, Deering High School, Portland: 2009-2011
- Honor Wilkinson, Calais High School: 2008-2010
- Justin Chenette, Thornton Academy, Saco: 2008-2009