Nonprofit Corporation Resources
Welcome to the Secretary of State's Nonprofit Corporation resource page. As you take important first steps toward creating your nonprofit corporation, it is important to be aware there is a network of resources available to help you here in Maine. The Office of the Secretary of State wants you to know about these resources:
• Maine Association of Nonprofits – “The Maine Association of Nonprofits is a statewide, membership organization representative of and a champion for Maine nonprofits. Our mission is to strengthen the leadership, voice, and organizational effectiveness of our state's nonprofits so that they can better enrich the quality of community and personal life in Maine.” – MANP Website
• Maine Office of the Attorney General – Their website has information about charities under Consumer Protection/Charities at
www.maine.gov/ag/. The Attorney General produces a
Guide for Board Members of Charitable Corporations that you may find useful.
• Maine Office of Professional and Financial Regulation, Office of Licensing and Registration -
Charitable Solicitation. Their website has important information about registering to do charitable solicitation.
• IRS Federal Tax Exemption Information - If you intend to apply for IRS federal tax exemption as a charitable organization, your articles of incorporation must contain a required purpose clause and a distribution of assets provision. Valuable information on 501(c)(3) qualification is on the IRS website. It includes sample articles of the incorporation. Click the "Charities and Nonprofits" link and then the "Life Cycle of a Public Charity" link.
• Determining Your Type of Nonprofit Corporation – Public Benefit or Mutual Benefit. On January 1, 2003, the Maine Nonprofit Corporation Act, Title 13-B, was changed to require that all registered nonprofit corporations designate whether their corporation is a public or mutual benefit corporation.
If the Office of the Secretary of State can be of further assistance, please call the Division of Corporations in the Bureau of Corporations, Elections and Commissions at (207) 624-7752 or by email at
cec.corporations@Maine.gov. We look forward to serving you.