Secretary of State
Bureau of Corporations, Elections and Commissions
Direct Hire Vacancy Announcement
CORPORATE/ELECTIONS PROGRAM SPECIALIST
WORKING TITLE: ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF ELECTIONS
Value of State-paid Health & Dental Insurance:
100% State Contribution (employee pays nothing): $377.46 biweekly (Health: $363.77 / Dental: $13.69)
95% State Contribution (employee pays 5%): $359.27 biweekly (Health: $345.58 / Dental: $13.69)
90% State Contribution (employee pays 10%): $341.08 biweekly (Health: $327.39 / Dental: $13.69)
85% State Contribution (employee pays 15%): $322.89 biweekly (Health: $309.20 / Dental: $13.69)
Value of State’s share of Employee’s Retirement: 11.54% of pay
Pay Range: 23 Supervisory ($37,689.60 – $51,438.40 annually)
OPENING DATE: May 9, 2013
CLOSING DATE: May 30, 2013
The Office of the Secretary of State, Bureau of Corporations, Elections and Commissions located in Augusta, Maine is seeking to fill a full time Corporate/Elections Program Specialist (Assistant Director of Elections) position.
This is professional services work in planning, coordinating, and administering a functional area of a major Secretary of State program, i.e., the statewide elections program. The Assistant Director supervises the four administrative support staff of the elections section. The elections section is responsible for the administration of all statewide and federal elections; and in doing so, reviews and certifies citizen initiative and candidate petitions; prepares and distributes ballots and other election materials; provides information and assistance to the public, media and candidates; and provides guidance and training to municipal officials on the conduct of elections and voter registration procedures. Work is performed under limited supervision. Some specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Reviews and analyzes specific functional policies, procedures, rules, regulations, and activities in order to assist in establishing and attaining Division goals and objectives.
- Assesses program objectives, procedures and rules in order to maximize the use of available resources.
- Interviews job candidates and reviews performance, hires and evaluates employee performance based upon outcomes in order to select most qualified candidates and evaluate staff work performance.
- Assesses and plans operational priorities including backlogs and heavy workflows; and reassigns and seeks outside staff where necessary in order to manage, oversee, and comply with constitutional and statutory deadlines.
- Interprets laws, rules, and regulations and reviews prior interpretations in order to provide advice, assist the public, and clarify issues.
- Implements and complies with human resource laws, policies, procedures and practices such as: AA/EEO, recruitment, employment, position classification, performance appraisals, training, discipline, contract administration, human resource components of security protocols of agency information security and confidentiality policies, and employee safety.
A six (6) year combination of education, training, and experience in elections, corporations, or related specialty area.
Preference will be given to those candidates who possess the following:
- A minimum of four (4) years of experience overseeing state or municipal elections;
- A minimum two (2) years of management experience, including knowledge or experience in human resource management;
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Business/Public Administration, or related field;
Desired knowledge and skills:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to create and edit a wide variety of documents;
- The ability to accurately interpret laws, rules and procedures; and
- The ability to administer and use computer applications.
You must complete a State of Maine Direct Hire Employment Application form available at the Bureau of Human Resources in Augusta, all Maine CareerCenter Offices, and on the State of Maine's Web Page (http://www.maine.gov/bhr/state_jobs/how_to/direct.htm), along with a signed cover letter and resume to the address below. Thank you.
Lucia Nadeau, Personnel Manager
Secretary of State
#29 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0029
Telephone: (207) 624-9010 Fax: (207) 624-9313
(Physically located at: 101 Hospital Street, Augusta, ME)
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED.
The Secretary of State is unable to provide copies of submitted materials.
The State of Maine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request
Directions and Map