Comprehensive School Program
The Maine Suicide Prevention Program strongly recommends that schools implement all of the following components as part of a broad-based prevention program.
The MSPP provides training and has developed resource material for schools interested in adopting this approach.
- Administrative Protocols to guide effective responses to suicidal behavior in troubled students, in those who threaten or attempt suicide, and others potentially at risk in the aftermath of a student death by suicide.
- Agreements with Crisis Service Providers that outline prevention and intervention services to be provided to the school.
- A School Community knowledgeable about suicide prevention: First, key staff attend Gatekeeper Training. Some of those Gatekeepers then attend a "Training-of Trainers" (1/2 day program) to learn how to present a 60-90 minute "Suicide Prevention Awareness Training" to ALL school staff. Health teachers attend both Gatekeeper Training and the Lifelines Teacher Training to learn how to teach youth about suicide.
- Designated school personnel are available at each building to help to intervene, screen, refer etc.
- Suicide prevention education for students.
Classes that promote help-seeking behaviors and are facilitated by faculty who are trained to deliver the lessons. This step is recommended ONLY after all other steps are in place. These classes promote help-seeking behaviors and are facilitated by faculty who are trained to deliver the lessons. This step is recommended ONLY after all other steps are in place.
- A range of responsive support services such as Student Assistant Team, substance abuse services, Reconnecting Youth, school based or linked mental health services, School Resource Officers.
- A school climate that promotes safety and respect for all.
For more information, contact:
Training and Education Project Director
Medical Care Development
11 Parkwood Dr.
Augusta, ME 04330
(207) 622-5767 / 1-800-464-5767
Or fill out our Request for Information Form.
- When to Call Crisis
- Is Your School Prepared to Manage Suicidal Behavior (pdf)
- Youth Suicide Prevention, Intervention & Postvention Guidelines -Fourth Edition, 2009 (pdf)