How to Get a Business License
General licenses to operate a business are managed at the town/city level in Maine. Contact your town office for information. To obtain contact information for your town office or to locate your municipal website, visit the Maine.gov Local Government portal.
Corporations must register with the State of Maine Bureau of Corporations.
Certain professions and types of businesses require additional permits and licenses:
- Professional Licensing - see Resources by Profession
- Register online for Maine sales & use tax and/or income tax withholding
- Eating & Lodging Establishment Inspections & Licensing
- Liquor Licensing: Application and Renewal
- Motor Vehicle Mechanics, Inspection Stations & Sticker Sales
- Gaming Licenses
Provided by the Department of Economic & Community Development, Maines online Business Answers service provides free information about doing business in Maine. The online Business Licensing Assistant will lead you through a series of questions about the type of business you are trying to start, and provide a list of licenses, permits or qualifications you need.
Business Answers also includes a searchable directory that allows you to find a specific business license or permit by keyword, category or agency.
Top Online Services
- Corporate Fraud Monitoring
- Corporations Search
- UCC Filing
- Corporate Annual Reports Filing
- Tax Filing & Payment Services
- Business Answers