Claims FAQ

How can I claim funds held by the state?
You can claim your property online by clicking Search Now, OR you can choose to print the Mail-In Claim Form (RTF), and send your claim by US Mail to Office of the State Treasurer, Attn: Unclaimed Property, 39 State House Station, Augusta, ME 04333-0039.

Is there a time limit or fee for claiming unclaimed funds held by the state?
No, there is no time limit and no fee for this service. The State of Maine holds unclaimed funds in trust - with the State Treasurer as custodian - until the funds are claimed by the owner or heir. The State never takes ownership of the money. It is held for you until you claim it. If at any time you can prove this money is yours, the Treasurer will return it to you without charge. Please Note: If you are contacted by someone other than the State Treasurer's Office, there are limits to the fee they can charge you.  Please contact us with questions about this type of fee. 

How can I find out the dollar amount of the funds?
We do not disclose dollar amounts for unclaimed funds until we receive proof of ownership or entitlement.

How long will it take to receive my funds?
In most cases, claims are reviewed within a few weeks of receipt.  Occasionally, perhaps with claims involving estates or stock property, the process is more involved and may take longer.  If additional documentation is required, you will be notified in writing (mail or email) after our review is complete.

Will I receive interest on the funds?
By law, we only pay interest on interest bearing items, such as savings accounts, for a period of up to ten years from the date we received the property. We also pay dividends that accrue on stock shares while we hold the stock.

How do I know if I am entitled to funds listed in my name?
The easiest way to determine if you are the person listed is to check the address associated with the funds.  During our review process, we may have other information available to us that helps us match claimants to owners and we will consider this when claims are filed.

What if I cannot prove the address of record?
Make sure that you search your old records for proof that you once used the address of record. For instance, look at old tax records or W2s. Most people keep these types of records much longer than other types of bills or receipts. If you then conclude that you cannot prove the address of record, mail in the completed claim form and attach a note indicating your conclusion. 

What if my name has changed?
If your name is now different from what appears on our database, you must provide some legal documentation to verify the name change (e.g., marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order, etc.).

What if I cannot prove ownership of the funds?
Not all items require proof of ownership. If you have the original document (for example: a check, a passbook, a bond), we recommend sending us a copy of it - we may require the original at a later date. If not, complete the claim form and return it to us. If further documentation is required, you will be advised in writing.

 How are joint accounts or accounts with multiple owners handled?
One of the owners may sign and submit a claim form and provide all of the necessary documentation in order to substantiate a claim. However, the refund will be made payable to all parties listed on the account. If there has been a change in circumstances (e.g., death, divorce, etc.) any available documentation confirming the change should be submitted with the claim.

What if the owner is deceased?
The most appropriate person (the surviving spouse or personal representative) should complete and submit an Affidavit and Agreement Supporting Claim for a Deceased Person with the claim form. Other documents, depending on the fact pattern specific to that claim, may require additional documents which would be requested in writing.  Please note checks are made payable to the estate of the deceased owner, NOT the claimant.

Who are considered immediate heirs?
Maine Probate law (17) defines heirs as follows: "Heirs" means those persons, including the surviving spouse or surviving registered domestic partner, who are entitled under the statutes of intestate succession to the property of a decedent. [2003, c. 672, §3 (amd).]

Are any of the funds I receive as a result of a successful claim taxable?
We are required by the Federal Government to report certain types of payments to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). If your payment includes interest paid to you, you will receive an IRS 1099INT form. If you received cash as the result of securities claim, you will receive an IRS 1099B form. If your payment included any accrued cash dividends on securities, you will receive an IRS 1099DIV form. If you have any questions regarding your tax liability, please consult with an appropriate tax specialist. All IRS information tax reports are mailed during the month of January, following the end of the current calendar year.

Where can I find unclaimed funds in other states?
Search nationally at or go to each state's website individually.

What kinds of funds become unclaimed?
Some examples of unclaimed property are:

  • Savings Accounts
  • Checking Accounts
  • Uncashed Checks
  • Telephone/Utility Deposits
  • Rental Security Deposits
  • Wages
  • Insurance Benefits/Policies
  • Safe Deposit Box Contents
  • Mortgage Insurance Refunds
  • Stocks and Dividends
  • Mutual Funds
  • Certificates of Deposit
  • Trust Funds
  • Estate Proceeds
  • Gift certificates and cards

How and when do accounts become unclaimed?
Did you ever...

  • Move without notifying everyone with whom you do business of your new address?
  • Open a school savings account as a child or for your own child and then forget about it?
  • Move without getting your utility deposit refund?
  • Forget to cash a health insurance check?
  • Neglect to cash interest or dividend checks on a security?
  • Leave a job and never go back to get your last paycheck?

In cases like these, your money is eventually turned over to the State. State law requires banks, insurance companies, utilities, and other businesses to turn dormant savings accounts, unclaimed insurance and stock dividends, and other inactive holdings over to the State. If there has been no activity in the account for a set period of time, usually three years, your money is considered unclaimed or abandoned.

Why didn't anyone contact me?
Before unclaimed funds are turned over to the State, holders are required to send a notification to you by mail. Once it comes to the State, we are required to publish owner names. Despite these efforts, many items remain unclaimed with the State Treasurer, who acts as custodian forever.

How do I find out if the State of Maine is holding money for me?

Search online at

Where can I get documentation to prove my claim?
Depending on the nature of your claim, the following resources may be helpful. 

Please note:  We cannot accept abstracts of legal documents as the information is incomplete.

What is the dormancy period?
The period of time, also referred to as the abandonment period, during which an owner of property does not take action on his property. The dormancy period is determined by the type of property and may vary from one to 15 years. A full description is available on this site.

Where can I find unclaimed funds in other states?
Search nationally at or go to each state's website individually.