Wireless Access at Maine State Library
- What is wireless access and how do I use it at the Maine State Library?
- Can I print when I'm on the wireless network?
- What is meant by an open network?
1. What is wireless access?
Wireless access is free Internet access on your laptop or PDA. Users must have a wireless card already installed in their laptop/notebook, PDA or wireless device in order to log-on to the wireless network. Maine State Library supports 820.11a, 802.11b, and 802.11g.
Users must agree to the Maine State Library Wireless Computer Usage Agreement. Noncompliance will result in the user being held liable for any damages incurred and the user's wireless access privileges will be revoked.
The State Library staff does not provide any technical assistance for connecting or configuring the wireless device; this is solely the responsibility of the user.
2. Can I print when I'm on the wireless network?
Yes, wireless printing is available at the Maine State Library and costs $.15 per page. The service allows you to print directly from your laptop, tablet, or cellphone.
3. What is meant by an open network?
The Maine State Library's wireless network is an "open" network. Any information transmitted or received through this network is unencrypted and unsecured. There is:
- No software filtering
- No blocking of ports
- No protection against malware: malicious software designed to cause damage to a single computer, server, or computer network.
The Maine State Library will not be held responsible for any damages, direct or indirect, to your laptop/notebook, PDA or other wireless device, occurring as a result of the use of our electronic resources.
Wireless Computer Usage Agreement
Acceptance of the conditions below is a requirement for access to the MSL wireless network.
Conditions for Use of Maine State Library Wireless Network
- I understand that the MSL wireless network is an “open network” which means that information transmitted on this network is unencrypted and unsecured.
- I further understand that connecting to the MSL Wireless Network is at my own risk and I agree that the Maine State Library shall have no liability for any damages, direct or indirect, occurring as a result of the use of MSL electronic resources.
- I understand that Maine State Library staff does not provide any technical assistance for wireless connectivity and that I am solely responsible for connecting and configuring my own equipment.
- I agree that I will not use MSL computer resources unlawfully. This includes, but is not limited to, using MSL resources to violate copyright agreements, harass others through the Internet, or exploit security holes in computers or networks.
- I agree not to tamper with MSL systems or settings in any way, nor will I save or download programs or files to the network.
- I understand that I will be using my electronic equipment in a public area and that privacy cannot be guaranteed. I agree not to view sexually graphic and/or explicit material, as this is prohibited on Maine State Library computers.
- I agree that if I do not comply with these rules, I will be held liable for any damage my actions may cause and understand that my privilege to use the Maine State Library's wireless computer resources may be revoked.