Genealogy Resources at Maine State Library
Maine State Library has a substantial collection of genealogies; town histories and published vital records for towns in Maine and a good deal of New England; materials on the Maritime Provinces of Canada; and genealogy handbooks and other helpful tools.
Access to thousands of vital records online. in-library use only
For HeritageQuest use from home enter your Maine State Library (MSL) barcode - on the back of your MSL library card.
- Genealogy Resources on the web
- Family Search - Select titles of microfilm to rent from the Family Search Catalog and have them delivered to us for you to view.
- Obituary Search
- Tips for finding genealogy material at Maine State Library
Maine State Library Catalog
Maine Specific Resources
Maine State Genealogical Researcher Card
Review the related law - Chapter 58, LD 258, 125th Maine Legislature (Word) - An Act Relating to Access to Vital Records
Death History Search Form
Use the Maine State Archives death database to find records from 1960 on.
- City Directories: These city directories for various years are only available for in-library use. Not every year is available for each city or town.
- Microfilm Availability List: Newspapers/journals with available publication dates
- Town Reports: Scanned copies of town reports. The State Library also has an extensive collection of Maine town reports in print; check the catalog by town.
Sign-up to receive genealogy newsletters and event updates by providing your email below.
- Maine Civil War Sesquicentennial
- Maine State Archives Civil War Sesquicentennial
- Maine in the Civil War, a selected list of material [PDF, 772 KB] This file requires the free Adobe Reader.
Special Civil War Databases
- American Civil War Letters and Diaries
- American Civil War Research Database
- Images of the American Civil War
- For databases above: Contact the reference staff for help. Only Maine State Library card holder.
- November 2014 (pdf)
- August 2014 (pdf)
- June 2014 (pdf)
- March 2014 (pdf)
- Jan 2014 (pdf)
- Oct 2013 (pdf)
- Aug 2013 (pdf)
- Jan 2013 (pdf)
- November 2012 (pdf)
- August 2012 (pdf)
- June 2012 (pdf)
- April 2012 (pdf)
- January 2012 (pdf)
- November 2011 (pdf)
- September 2011 (pdf)
- Newsletters require the free Adobe Reader.