- Opportunities for Fishing and Hunting for People with Disabilities, Dept. of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife
Find out how to apply for special fishing and hunting permits for the blind, disabled veterans, people with cognitive disabilities, and paraplegics.
- Client Assistance Program
The Client Assistance Program (CAP) is a federally funded program that provides information, assistance and advocacy to people with disabilities who are applying for or receiving services under the Rehabilitation Act. Programs under this Act include Vocational Rehabilitation, Independent Living Services and Projects with Industry.
- Disability Determination Services, Department of Human Services
The Maine Disability Determination Service is comprised of Maine State workers who make disability decisions for the Social Security Administration. These decisions directly service the citizens of our state and bring approximately four hundred million dollars in benefits to disabled Maine citizens.
Employment & Education
- Maine Bureau of Rehabilitation Services, Department of Labor
BRS strives to bring about full access to employment, independence and community integration for people with disabilities.
- Vocational Rehabilitation
A program that helps people who have disabilities to get and keep a job
- Comprehensive Services For Visually Impaired And Blind Individuals Of All Ages
If you have a vision problem that prevents you from carrying out the activities of daily living, getting an education or a job, there is help. The Division for the Blind and Visually Impaired can provide many services to persons with severe visual impairments.
- MaineCare for Workers with Disabilities
Maine Medicaid has a new option that allows someone with a disability to earn more and keep Medicaid. In the past, people lost their Medicaid if they earned too much.
General State Programs
- Division of Deafness
The Division of Deafness (DoD) provides a variety of services for deaf citizens of Maine including information and referral; advocacy; statewide registry; and promotion of accessibility. Additionally, DoD coordinates the assessment of the needs of people who are deaf and hard of hearing in order to recommend legislation to change or improve services. Other programs include Telecommunications Devices, Legal Interpreting, Identification Cards, Hearing-Ear-Dog registration.
- Independent Living Services Program
The Independent Living Services (ILS) Program assists people who have significant disabilities to live more independently in their homes and communities. The program provides and arranges needed IL services subject to the availability of funds. The program is also an advocacy program for people with disabilities and their families.
- Alpha One
A Center for Independent Living in Maine.
Rights & Advocacy
- Disability Rights Center, Department of Human Services
The Disability Rights Center provides protection and advocacy services for eligible people of all ages with developmental disabilities or mental illness. DRC offers direct advocacy assistance, information and referral, and training.
Technology & Communication
- MaineCITE Assistive Technology
A government-funded project designed to help make assistive and universally designed technology more available to Maine children and adults who have disabilities
- Maine State Library Outreach Services
State Library services include Talking Books, large print books, descriptive video, and Books By Mail.
- ALLTech: Maine Educational Center for Assistive Technology & Software
- State Government Policies for Accessibility of Information Technology
- Technical Exploration Center
An assistive technology program. Collaboration between Husson College and UCP of Maine. descriptive video
- TTY Numbers
Other Disability Organizations & Directories
A directory of resources and information for Mainers with disabilities.
Maine School Profiles Online School Search
Top Online Services
- Archives Records Search
- Unclaimed Property Search & Claims
- Birth, Marriage, & Death Record Searches
- Assisted Living Facilities Search
- Burning Permits