Continuing Education - Learning Opportunities
Narrated Powerpoint Presentations (PPT) by Stephanie Zurinski, Central Maine Library Consultant. The PDF files below require the free Adobe Reader.
- Introduction to MARVEL; slides & notes [PDF, 129 KB]
- Navigating MARVEL; slides & notes [PDF, 159 KB]
- Searching MARVEL; slides & notes [PDF, 221 KB]
- Hobbies & Crafts via MARVEL; slides & notes [PDF, 339 KB]
- Maine Resources in Marvel; slides & notes [PDF1.34 MB]
- Encyclopedia Britannica; slides & notes [PDF, 307 KB]
- NoveList: What Should I Read Next?; slides & notes [PDF, 209 KB]
- Using LearningExpress via the Information Commons; slides & notes [PDF, 711 KB]
- Looking for Information: EBSCOHost; slides & notes [PDF, 249 KB]
CE Stipends to put towards continuing education are available from the district offices.
- 23MobileThings - self directed online program about mobile technologies
- Customize this MARVELous guide for your own library! Download MARVEL guide [Word,559 KB]; PDF version [PDF, 601 KB]
- EBSCO and NoveList Tutorials and Support.
- Gale's Event Calendar online. This allows libraries to see when various webinars are being held and the subject matter being covered. Click on the free product previews or training webinars.
- Proquest training information
- Britannica training sessions
- Reminder to libraries about MARVEL! logins
- Libraries! Do NOT create generic/group logins to the MARVEL! resources
- Due to the license agreements for the statewide subscription to the databases, usernames and passwords for accessing these databases are to be created for individual, Maine State Resident usage only.
- Patrons need their own username and password for their own MARVEL account.
Unlimited Free Online Courses and Webinars from WebJunction
Requirement for Courses: Must be a sponsored WebJunction member; Request a sponsored course access account from Maine State Library for the self paced courses at WebJunction Maine. Be sure to select "Maine" as your state partners.
- Preview WebJunction Course Catalog – Unlimited number of free courses made possible by the Maine State Library. Only sponsored WebJunction Maine members may view the actual catalog web page and sign up for courses.
- Upcoming Webinars - Check the Maine Library Community calendar for dates, descriptions and registration
- Archived WebJunction Webinars - in the catalog under Subject Area: Archived Webinars - many excellent archived webinars!
Training videos developed by the Association for Library Collections & Technical Services, a division of ALA.There are 24 videos on RDA as well as videos on cataloging, collections, preservation and institutional repositories. The videos run from 1 hour to 1.5hrs.
- Check out recent books in Maine State Library's professional collection
Other Learning Opportunities
- Online Library Education The free, online Alternative Basic Library Education (ABLE) Program provides basic library knowledge and skills for staff members who have no formal education in library science.
- Simmons Graduate School of Library and Information Science Fee-based online update-your-skills courses are available in addition to the online degree program.
- GFC Global Learning – offers free, beginning computer courses and tutorials. (Office, Internet, Computer basics,etc.)
- Google Web Search - Classroom Lessons and Resources
- Master lesson presentations by Google