Library Organizations & Library Related Links
From the organization's own words...
- American Library Association (ALA)
- American Library Association promotes the highest quality library and information services and public access to information. ALA offers professional services and publications to members and nonmembers.
- Canadian Library Association
- Canadian Library Association promotes, develops and supports library and information services in Canada and to work in cooperation with all who share our values in order to present a unified voice on issues of mutual concern.
- Friends of Maine Libraries (FOML)
- Friends of Maine Libraries is a committed group of library advocates with goals to:
- Help organize local Friends groups
- Support local Friends groups
- Share information and ideas among Friends and other library groups with a quarterly newsletter
- Increase an awareness of all Maine libraries and their resources
- Help organize local Friends groups
- Be an advocate for good library services and use throughout Maine
- Friends of Libraries USA (FOLUSA)
- Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS)
- Institute Of Museum and Library Services is a federal grant-making agency that promotes leadership, innovation, and a lifetime of learning by supporting the nation's museums and libraries.
- Maine Association of Non Profits (MANP)
- Maine Association of Non Profits (MANP) supports the strengthening of the leadership, voice and organizational effectiveness of our state's nonprofits so that they can better enrich the quality of community and personal life in Maine.
- Maine Association of School Libraries (MASL)
- Maine Association of School Libraries supports the integration of learning experiences throughout school curriculum and the integration of new technologies into the learning environment. MASL is dedicated to promoting quality library media services in all schools of the State of Maine.
- Maine Health Science Libraries Information Consortium (HSLIC):
- Maine Health Science Libraries Information Consortium coordinate cooperative efforts among health science libraries in Maine. HSLIC's primary goals are to promote health science libraries and librarianship, share knowledge and experiences in library operations and resources, provide continuing development of the framework for resource sharing within Maine and provide opportunities for the continuing education of health science librarians and support personnel.
- Maine Library Association (MLA)
- Maine Library Association links the Maine Library Community with the New England and national library communities as a chapter of the New England Library Association and the American Library Association, providing information and support to Maine librarians in many areas.
- MLA actively supports legislation affecting all types of libraries.
- MLA offers the chance to meet fellow librarians, exchange ideas and establish contacts with your peers.
- Maine School and Library Network (MSLN):
- Maine School and Library Network: "The Maine School and Library Network provides internet access, email, web hosting, and other internet related services to almost 1000 schools and libraries across the state of Maine.
- New England Library Association (NELA)
- New England Library Association promotes excellence in library services to the people of New England and to advance the leadership role of its members in developing and ensuring that excellence.
- Special Libraries Association (SLA)
- Special Libraries Association is for special librarians that are information resource experts who collect, analyze, evaluate, package, and disseminate information to facilitate accurate decision-making in corporate, academic, and government settings.
Library Related Links
Comprehensive Library Sites
The following sites offer large collections links for librarians and library environments.
- Digital Librarian: a librarian's choice of the best of the Web: "Maintained by Margaret Vail Anderson, a librarian in Cortland, New York."
- Internet Public Library - Services for Librarians : Resources about library and information science or relevant to library professionals.
Library Journals and Newsletters
- American Libraries: Monthly publication of the American Library Association. Extensive job ads.
- AudioFile: "The Magazine for People Who Love Audiobooks"
- Booklist: Reviews for public and school libraries.
- Choice: Reviews for academic libraries.
- Computers in Libraries - ?Monthly magazine that provides complete coverage of the news and issues in the rapidly evolving field of library information technology.?
- Information Today: Online newspaper designed to meet the needs of the information professional
- Library Journal Online
- Internet & Schools: The Educators' Guide to Technology and the Web
- Searcher: The magazine for database professionals
Libraries in General
- Library of Congress: Extensive site, with links to digital library projects, Catalog Distribution Service, Copyright Office, Z39.50 standards and technology, state library sites and a wide variety of additional information related to libraries and to the federal government.
- Library of Congress Online Services (LOCIS)
Copyright and Standards
- Copyright and Fair Use: Compendium of useful links maintained at Stanford University
- U.S. Copyright Office at the Library of Congress
- Copyright Genie - Helpful for figuring out the copyright status of works first published in the United States
- Marc Standards, Library of Congress: Library of Congress documentation, etc., MARC 21 Concise Format for Bibliographic Data.