Certificate of Appreciation Award
Since 1984 the Southern Maine Library District has awarded a Certificate of Appreciation to recognize individuals or organizations who have made significant contributions to SMLD libraries.
The Executive Board of the Southern Maine Library District encourages librarians, trustees, and Friends of Libraries to make nominations or suggest nominees.
The Nominating Committee of the Executive Board may solicit nominations or seek documentation on suggested individuals and organizations. The Executive Board will select the award recipient and present the award at the Spring Meeting of the SMLD Council.
- Sheila Dube, Children’s Librarian, Springvale Public Library, SMLD Book Review
- Inese Gruber, Director of Windham Public Library, Retired, SMLD Representative to Maine Library Commission
- No Award
Nicholas Noyes, Head of Library Services, Maine Historical Society, Portland
Elaine Bissonnette, Administrative Assistant, Southern Maine Library District
- Cori McGrath and Richard Tucker, Tucker Library Interiors. Recognized for their dedicated work on the Maine Library Makeovers.
- Vicky Smith, Director, McArthur Public Library, Biddeford
- Karl Beiser, Executive Director, Maine InfoNet, Karl retired May 18, 2007. He has been at the forefront of Maine Library automation projects for many years, and has presented at numerous national technology conferences. Karl was formerly the NMLD consultant and director of the Millinocket Public Library.
- Curt Murley, Volunteer, Casco Public Library, Kurt Murley has volunteered at the Casco Public Library, the Raymond Village Library, and the Long Island Community Library. He has contributed countless hours of technological expertise as well as a steady and patient presence as these libraries moved into the twenty-first century.
- Anne Davis, Director of the Gardiner Public Library; Pam Turner, Directory of the Baxter Memorial Library in Gorham; and Stephanie Limmer, Director of the Kennebunk Free Library, received SMLD Certificates of Appreciation for their efforts in educating librarians and the public in response to the 2004 tax cap proposal. Anne is past chair of the Maine Library Association and Chair of their legislative committee. Pam and Stephanie volunteered to head their county delegations and serve as library legislative coordinators.
- Senator Beth Edmonds, a Children's Librarian with the Freeport Community Library, was honored for her efforts in passage of library legislation, in particular funding for the "Marvel!" databases.
- Rachel and Kevin Davis: Recognized for their dedicated work on the statewide Maine Libraries Public Awareness Campaign Committee. Among their many contributions: maintaining the MaineLibraries.com website, organizing statewide exhibits, and producing campaign materials. Rachel is the children's librarian at the Thomas Memorial Library in Cape Elizabeth and Kevin is Branch Manager of the South Portland Memorial Branch Library.
- Phil Morse, Volunteer, Seashore Trolley Museum, Kennebunkport: Mr. Morse was honored for his efforts in establishing and operating summer reading parties for SMLD children and their families. In cooperation with a planning committee of children's librarians and the SMLD District Consultant, he raised the funds, hired entertainers and guest participants, enlisted volunteers, and publicized the event. Former First Lady was guest reader at the 1st party in 2001, attended by over 2400 children and their parents. The 2002 party also attracted large numbers and was a great success, thanks to Phil.
- Carolyn Hughes, University of Southern Maine, Portland: Hughes was recognized for her many years of work on regional and statewide library public relations. She serves on the sMLD Public Relations Committee and is past chair of the Maine Library association Public Relations Committee. She helped organize the Maine Library Association's Journalism Award and has worked on numerous SMLD PR Projects.
- Janet Harmon, MSLN Circuit Rider (USM); SMLD Mobile Technology Lab Project Director
- Joyce Wheeler, Library/Media Specialist, Scarborough High School; SMLD Board Member; SMLD Webmaster
- Elaine Bissonnette, SMLD Secretary
- Bookland of Maine [Accepted by David Turitz]
- Kathy Cabana, Friend, South Portland Public Library
- Rita Gorham and Eileen MacAdam, ILL, Portland Public Library
- Rachel Quenk, Children's Librarian, Thomas Memorial Library, Cape Elizabeth
- Isabel Denham, Retired Children's Librarian, Yarmouth
- Louise Sullivan, Librarian,
Working together, Isabel and Louise compiled the "Cream of the Crop" collection of Children's and Young Adult Books, which is used at the annual Reading Round Up of Children's Literature Conference and for other programs and exhibits throughout the state. They both actively participate in the SMLD Children's and Young Adult Book Review Group
- Steve Nichols, West Buxton Public Library: Served on the SMLD Board, the SMLD Trustee Forum Committee, and the Maine Library Trustee Association Board.
- George Parks, Director,
University of Southern Maine Library:
Served on the SMLD Board and the SMLD Long Range Planning Committee. President of the New England Library Assoc. .
- M. Ann Carabia, Librarian, Bridgton Academy: Chair, SMLD Council and Board; SMLD representative to the Maine Library Commission; Legislative Chair, Maine Education Media Association; and extensive efforts concerning the library community's initiatives in the Public Utilities Commission NYNEX case.
1996 Volunteer Service Awards
- Barry L. Atwood, Smith Atwood Video Services, Inc., Portland and H. Pete Smith: Volunteered to produce a videotape, "Libraries Are for Babies, Too" whose purpose is to assist libraries with starting or augmenting service for newborns, their parents, and caregivers.
- Ralph Cabana, South Portland
- Pam Turner, Baxter Memorial Library, Gorham
- Shirley Helfrich, Consultant
- Marianna Rowe, Volunteer: Strong support of children's library services in U.S. and abroad throughout her career. SMLD Maine Examination Collection volunteer; member, 1992 Reading Round-Up Planning Committee.
- Donald Carter , Legislator: Awarded presented posthumously to his wife Wilma Carter for his strong support of library legislation for the statewide library automation network, MaineCat.
- Stephen Podgajny , Curtis Memorial Library, Brunswick: Chair, Maine Community Cultural Alliance; Co-chair, SMLD Public Relations Maine Mall Committee.
- Neil Rolde, Legislator: Lobbied for library legislation including regional library legislation and Cultural Alliance. Majority leader 1974-76. Author, So You Think You Know Maine.
- Todd Trevorrow , Westbrook College Librarian: Chair, SMLD Executive Board and Council; secretary, SMLD Executive Board; chair, SMLD Finance Committee; member, SMLD Public Relations Committee; member, MLA Health Information Project Committee (won national grant); chair, HAMIC.
- Majorie Campbell, Public Library Trustee: Vice President, Maine Library Trustee Association; member, Maine Library Trustee Handbook Committee; Vice Chair, SMLD Council; member, SMLD Public Relations Committee; member, SMLD Executive Board and Council; Speaker,FORUM '86; Trustee Chair, Wells Public Library.
- Florence Johnson, Secretary: SMLD secretary for 12 years. Outstanding work on a variety of projects for SMLD and the Maine Regional Library System including SCOOP, SACCE, and Downeast Libraries.
- Edward V. Chenevert, Public Library Director:Instrumental in establishing Maine Regional Library System and statewide Talking Books program. Served on SMLD Executive Board and as Portland Public Library Director, head of the SMLD Area Reference and Resource Center.
- Frank Wood, State Legislator (Senator): Lobbied for library legislation including large print program .Helped develop Shaker Library at Sabbathday Lake. Trustee, Springvale Public Library.
- Mary Hatch, Volunteer: Began volunteer work at SMLD office in 1979. Responsible for processing, record-keeping, and circulation of Maine Examination Collection. Assisted with Traveling Book Box program. Also assisted with bulk mailings and general office work.