Maps, Publications and Online Data
- The publications search allows you to search for maps and publications by geographic area or subject. The subject search is linked to the Bibliography of Maine Geology. Search results are linked to online maps and data and also to an online shopping cart. Although online ordering is not available at this time, the shopping cart order may be printed and mailed or faxed to the Maine Geological Survey.
- Over 2000 geologic quadrangle maps and publications are now available online in PDF format. If you know the name of the quadrangle you are interested in, you may locate PDF files using the map series links below. These pages contain alphabetical lists of available quadrangles. If you are unsure of the quadrangle name, use the publications search.
- Digital geologic datasets are available from the Maine Geological Survey and the Maine Office of GIS. Datasets are available for download free of charge. The following links give more detailed instructions for acquiring digital data related to a specific map series:
Printed Maps and Publications For Sale
- Not all of the printed maps and publications are available online. Use the publications search to identify printed publications that can be purchased from the Maine Geological Survey. Or, if you know what you want, go directly to the ordering instructions.
- Publications listed from the following agencies are available for sale:
- Maine Geological Survey
- Geologic quadrangle maps
- Regional geologic maps
- Technical geologic reports
- Popular geologic guidebooks
- U.S. Geological Survey
- Topographic maps
- Selected geologic publications
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- National Wetlands Inventory maps
- Selected wetlands publications
U.S. Geological Survey Topographic Maps
- The Maine Geological Survey sells U.S. Geological Survey topographic paper maps for Maine at the following scales:
- 1:24,000 (707 maps cover the state)
- 1:100,000 (35 maps cover the state)
- 1:250,000 (13 maps cover the state)
- 1:500,000 (1 map covers the state)
- Use the MGS publication search to find the names and prices of available quadrangles:
- Use the Zoom In feature on the map of Maine to display your region of interest.
- If the quadrangle outlines and names don't show, zoom in to a smaller area.
- Use the Geographic Search to locate your region of interest. Topographic maps will be listed under USGS Base Maps in the results column. Click on the Details link next to the map citation for price information.
- Or, if you know what you want, go directly to the ordering instructions.
Links to Related Topics - Maps and Publications
- Maine State Library
- GeoRef - worldwide geologic bibliography published by the American Geological Institute. Access for MAINE RESIDENTS ONLY is provided through the Maine State Library's MARVEL! virtual library.
- U.S. Geological Survey
- National Geologic Map Database - Search database developed by USGS in cooperation with the Association of American State Geologists. The database is a geoscience resource for maps and related data about: geology, hazards, earth resources, geophysics, geochemistry, geochronology, paleontology, and marine geology.
- National Geologic Map Database - TopoView - View and download all scales of current and historical USGS topographic maps.
Last updated on April 5, 2013